"You may have my number, you can take my name, but you'll never have my heart." -- Adele
Sofcoop.org is part of a nonprofit project to create a software users' co-op. Our goal is to make a truly democratic organization that can be trusted to serve its members. This starts with protecting the privacy of members and prospective members who use this website.
- Accountability: Our Privacy Officer is Mark Latham, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Purposes: When (or before) we collect your personal information, we inform you why it is needed and how it will be used. If we later want to use it in other ways, we will first inform you and ask for your consent.
- We use your email address to contact you when necessary. You may also subscribe to news updates.
- If you join our co-op, we use your personal information to fulfill the requirements of the British Columbia Cooperative Association Act.
- Consent: We will only collect, use or disclose your personal information with your consent (unless the law requires otherwise), which may be expressed, implied, opt-in or opt-out as is reasonable in the context. Your consent is not a condition for any of our services unless the information is required to provide that service. You may withdraw your consent at any time, in which case we would tell you the likely consequences of withdrawing consent.
- Limited collection: We only collect personal information that is necessary for our reasonable purposes, and we only collect it from the person it is about.
- Limited use, disclosure and retention: We only use or disclose your personal information for reasonable purposes that you have consented to. We only keep it as long as necessary for those purposes.
- Accuracy: We make reasonable efforts to ensure that your personal information is accurate and complete. We appreciate your help with this.
- Safeguards: We maintain reasonable protection against unauthorized access, use or disclosure of your personal information.
- Openness: In addition to the policy outlined here, you can ask more about our information policies, practices and purposes by sending questions to our Privacy Officer, Mark Latham, email email@example.com.
- Access: You can check and update your personal information by logging in to sofcoop.org.
- Recourse: If you have a complaint or concern about our use of your personal information, we recommend that you take this sequence of steps as far as you consider necessary:
- Contact our Privacy Officer, Mark Latham, email firstname.lastname@example.org. He will investigate and respond to all complaints received.
- Contact any others on our project team.
- Contact any of the co-op's info channels.
- Start an info channel critiquing our information practices, and enter it in our co-op's funding competition.
- Contact the British Columbia Information and Privacy Commissioner's Office.